A very sparse crowd turned out at a windy but warm Phillips 66 Community Stadium to witness a game that had it all - a partial floodlight failure on 70 minutes, a red card, 4 goals, a missed penalty, shots hitting the bar and some excellent football as Brakes youth team marched through to the 3rd round of the League Cup with a 4-0 win over Cinderford Town Youth.

As early as the twelfth minute Brakes took the lead as Fitzmaurice headed a cross against the bar, but the lively Winiarski was alert enough to bury the rebound with a confident header from 6 yards. Two minutes later a good cross from wide left by Robbins had enough pace on it for the unfortunate Cinderford keeper to fumble the ball into his own goal.

It was not until the 17th minute that Cinderford mounted an attack which was confidently dealt with by Brakes' central defenders. Then Burns forced a smart save out of Hopkinson in the Brakes goal with a stinging shot from just outside the box. Sam Jessup had 2 similar efforts well saved again by the Brakes keeper as Cinderford pressed to get back into the game.

With the game becoming more competitive Brakes' George Ingram retaliated to a push with an elbow in front of the ref and received a straight red. This seamed to galvanise the Brakes and Winiarski missed a great chance from close range. Brakes were playing some super 30 yard passes and using the wings to great effect and on 39 minutes Peepal latched onto one down the middle to hammer home a confident finish.

On 43 minutes it was 4-0 as Winiarski finished another super cross from Robbins. Half time: 4-0 Brakes.

The Greens must have had a stern talking to at half time as they came out with a newfound determination that kept Brakes bottled up in their own half for large sections of the second half. The visitors were fighting for every ball but the ten men were restricting them to long range efforts. On the hour a loose clearance from Brakes keeper fell to Cinderford's Harry Burns, who seeing the keeper outside of the box fired in a long range effort from all of 45 yards only to see his effort hit the bar at the North Bank end. From the clearance the ball found Robbins whose dynamic run saw him go past two defenders only for him to be brought down in the box with just the keeper to beat, but incredibly the Referee waved away the penalty appeals.

It was end to end stuff with shots ringing in at both ends. A flood light pylon behind the standing cover at the North Bank went out but sensibly the Referee allowed the game to continue in subdued light. It was Brakes who finished the stronger and should have added to their tally with Winiarski using his pace to outrun his marker and drawing a fine 1 on 1 save out of Barnett in the Cinderford goal and Robbins missing a penalty after being upended again in the box. The game concluded with the luckless Harry Burns going close with a fine curling shot just past the Brakes upright.

Full time: 4-0 to Brakes. Next up Nuneaton Griff at home next Wednesday.

Keith Hancock